Saturday 14 February 2015

Batman Miniature Game by Knight Models - Back from the Lazarus Pit...

OK, so I sort of forgot about this blog. Not a great start to my life as an online blogger of all things miniature game related.

So, let's try this again.

After several years (!) of not painting or playing miniature, about 18 months or so ago, I was introduced by a friend to the Batman Miniature Game, by Knight Models. It's a skirmish wargame set in the dark and gritty world of the Batman: Arkham City video game.

Over the months, Knight Models have steadily added more and more miniatures to the range, expanding beyond the setting of the video games to encompass the wider DC Comics characters.

Now, I'm a massive fan of all things Batman, as well as comic books in general, so this game sucked me in from the word go. What I immediately loved about the game is the relatively small (by most other games standards) buy-in cost. For a moderately small outlay (Usually the £20-£25 mark), you can pick up a crew starter set, containing an iconic hero or villain from Batman's world, and three accompanying henchmen. This is enough to get you playing almost immediately.

This is how the game works, having iconic heroes and villains, and their accompanying followers, battle it out over the mean streets of Gotham. Most small games need only four or five miniatures a side to get started.

Because of this, I was able to rapidly buy and paint miniatures and have several painted forces, or crews, to play with. This was a big win for me, as historically, I've always had mountains of unpainted metal and plastic on and off the board when it comes to miniature games.

So, for the first time since I care to remember, I'm into a miniature game, and almost all the miniatures I own for it are painted, or assembled and primed and ready to be painted. This pleases me no end, and really inspires me to carry on with this game, and the hobby in general.

Here are a few shots of my painted crews. They by no means include all of my painted Batman miniatures, but it's a broad selection:


A 350 reputation (points) Batman Crew, consisting of the Dark Knight himself, Robin, Commissioner Gordon, and GCPD's finest. 


A 350 reputation Joker Crew. M J and his clowns causing Kaos in Gotham!


A 350 reputation Two-face Crew. Old Harv leads his miscreants in a crime wave, assisted by the imposing Clayface!


A 350 reputation Bane crew. The South American mercenary is out for blood, assisted by the Deadly Deathstroke. 

As you can see, the range of miniatures is superb. At 35mm, they are highly details, and really stand out on the table. 

As the weeks and months progress, I'll endeavour to update this blog with more of my experiences with the Batman Miniature Game. The rules can be downloaded for free from Knight Models website, and a new, hardcover 2nd edition rulebook is due for release in the next few weeks.

Knight Models Website: http://www.knightmodels.com/

Crew Builder: http://bat-builder.com/index.html

Happy gaming!

Cheers, 

WW

No comments:

Post a Comment